Mediavine is seeking an experienced Director of Communications to join our Marketing & Communications team.
Mediavine is a fast-growing advertising management company representing over 10,000 websites in the food, lifestyle, DIY, and entertainment space. Founded by content creators, for content creators, Mediavine is a Top 20 Comscore property, exclusively reaching over 125 million monthly unique visitors. With best-in-class technology and a commitment to traffic quality and brand safety, we ensure optimal performance for our creators.
Mission & Culture
We help content creators build sustainable businesses. From educational tools and cutting-edge plugins to ad technology that maximizes earnings without slowing down your site, our motivation is ensuring your brand and business grow in every respect.
We are striving to build an inclusive and diverse team of highly talented individuals that reflects the industries we serve and the world we live in. We are committed to creating a culture where everyone feels welcomed. We are looking for individuals that will challenge us to continuously evolve and make Mediavine the employer of choice for people of all backgrounds. We strongly encourage minorities and individuals from underrepresented groups in technology to apply for this position.
Diversity and inclusion aren't platitudes to us; we take them seriously. Have a look at our team and read through our blog posts to learn more about our values and to discover if Mediavine is the place for you!
Position Title & Overview:
The Mediavine Marketing & Communications team is currently looking to fill the Director of Communications position. This role calls for an expert written and verbal communicator with a keen eye for detail. They have knowledge and experience with best practices for public relations, crisis communications and corporate communications. This individual is a wordsmith and expert at ensuring the Mediavine brand is consistently conveyed across all media and collateral. They’re also an innovator and leader, committed to building and guiding a team of communications professionals to find new and creative ways to represent our brand.
The Marketing & Communications team is responsible for branding and promoting Mediavine’s many product offerings, from ad management to privacy solutions. We’re also responsible for producing collateral for every Mediavine department, from Sales pitch decks to branded EVP designs and content for People Ops. Additionally, we produce all of Mediavine’s external content (including blog posts, press releases, thought leadership pieces, Facebook Lives, videos, emails, social media and a podcast), as well as all events, both in person and digital.
The Director of Communications reports directly to the VP of Marketing & Communications.
- Develop and drive the successful implementation of a communications strategy that incorporates all existing channels, accurately conveys the Mediavine brand and contributes to driving key business objectives
- Write press releases, execute media pitches, and develop messaging points that clearly communicate Mediavine’s competitive differentiation and market position
- Work with the leadership team to craft our PR narrative
- Oversee social media marketing and content marketing strategy
- Provide communications counsel, media training and support to senior leaders to better communicate the company’s overall vision, strategy, and capabilities to a wide variety of audiences
- Work with the product and broader marketing team to carry out impactful communication campaigns about new products
- Field media questions and oversee crisis communications processes by providing guidance and messaging
- Lead communications research; including channels and content audit, audience and stakeholder analysis as well as communications protocols and policies
- Manage public relations and other communications staff and coordinate with internal creative and technical teams to ensure communications materials are developed on time
- Collaborate on the development of communications to explain and promote the use of new technologies, tools, and platforms to increase adoption and engagement
- Lead and facilitating strategic discussions, tracking deliverables, and aiding with general management and organizational activities
- Manage the collaboration across the teams to ensure projects are completed on schedule providing high quality deliverables
- Build partnerships within Mediavine teams and externally with relevant partners to gain recognition on initiatives and visibility of efforts
- Required travel on an as needed basis, for our annual All Hands Retreat, Team Retreat/Meetings and/or industry events/conferences (approx. 15%)
- Must currently live in the United States
- Bachelor’s degree in marketing, communications or similar field
- 10 + years of experience in marketing and communications at fast-growing technology companies, in Ad Tech a plus
- 5+ years of experience managing a team of 3 or more direct reports
- 2+ years of internal communications experience
- Experience working on and leading a dispersed and remote team
- Strong understanding of the media and PR landscape and relationships with reporters
- A mastery of messaging; with expert verbal presentation and written communication skills that emphasize storytelling and can bring ideas to life with compelling copy
- Hands on experience with copywriting and proofreading
- Experience working with the C-suite and the ability to advise senior management
- A commitment to Diversity, Equity and Inclusion in representing the company, building a team and in decision making
- Experience as a data-driven business leader with ability to navigate ambiguity and make informed decisions with the best available data
- Demonstrated ability to dive deep in understanding the product, business objectives and competitive landscape in an industry where heavily technical language is the norm
- Ability to manage multiple competing priorities while quickly and easily adapting to changing organizational needs
- Highly effective interpersonal skills and are innately curious as well as self-driven
- Detail oriented with strong analytical, problem-solving and decision-making capabilities
- Ability to work independently and in a team-oriented, collaborative environment
- Ability to travel up to approximately 15%
Bonus points for:
- Knowledge of content creation and SEO
- Experience in the Ad Tech industry
- A strong GIF game
- Remote work environment
- Travel opportunities (remember those!?)
- Comprehensive benefits including 401k, Health, Dental, and Vision insurance
- Learning allowance
- Generous Vacation/Time off policies
- Additional side benefits such as home-office upgrades, tuition reimbursement, paid gym memberships and wellness retreats, upgraded flights, cool swag and more
- Company match charitable donations
Mediavine is an Equal Opportunity Employer